What we do
Theme of the summit:
Women Excelling in Economy
The Global Summit is a significant collaboration between NAMA and UN Women, addressing equal opportunities for women entrepreneurs locally and globally, which also aims to fulfil the women’s economic empowerment dimensions of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Additionally, the summit will initiate discussions with international decision-makers on the development of the the flagship programme on entrepreneurship and gender-responsive procurement, help secure the interest of women entrepreneurs and business owners, as well as present strategies, opportunities, and case studies to empower women in non-traditional sectors (including – but not limited to – procurement,finance, city planning) that will encourage organisations’ commitment for action.
Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher bint Mohammed Al Qasimi
Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher bint Mohammed Al Qasimi, Wife of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah – UAE, is a prominent philanthropist, humanitarian, and advocate for causes specific to women advancement, NCD with primary focus on cancer awareness, children with special needs, patients, education, and family development. Her Highness has contributed to the alleviation of suffering experienced by disadvantaged people, such as the chronically ill, vulnerable women and refugee children, and captured with great focus the attention of both regional and international communities onto the plight of people living in the Middle East and globally. A recipient of many awards and accolades, Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher is an inspiration to generations through her notable contributions.
Her most prominent awards and recognitions include:
- Honoured with the prestigious 3G ‘Global Good Governance’ Philanthropy Award 2017, in recognition of her charitable work in the UAE’s social services sector and for her generous initiatives to reduce the burden of cancer and noncommunicable diseases across the world.
- Received King Abdullah II Award for Excellence 2015-2016 a major award for child care. The accolade, was given in recognition of the high quality report submitted by Sharjah Health Promotion Department, which was titled ‘The Innovative Role of Sharjah in Childcare’.
- Received the Golden Erbse Award 2015 from the German Centre for Fairy Tale Culture for her humanitarian efforts. The award recognises Sheikha Jawaher’s global advocacy work on behalf of women, refugee children, cancer patients, the needy and the vulnerable.
- Honoured by “Beirut Institute Summit”, held in Abu Dhabi in October 2015 in recognition of her humanitarian work.
- The Sharjah office of the National Media Council (NMC) has presented a special Commemorative Plaque as a token of appreciation to Sheikha Jawaher Al Qasimi. The plaque recognises Sheikha Jawaher’s role in helping Sharjah rise into the Capital of Islamic Culture.
Our Mandate as NAMA Women Advancement Establishment
Established by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the UAE Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah. NAMA is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher bint Mohammed Al Qasimi, Wife of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah.
Our core philosophy at NAMA is to raise awareness that women are an indispensable human resource for the development of every nation. NAMA was conceived to go beyond the remit of supporting women and ensuring gender equality to a broader scope that aims to see women become influential key members of society, thereby enabling them to climb the ladder of success.
It encourages policies and legislation to support women and actively pursues programmes that support gender integration into all sectors and abolishes unjust practices and policies that discriminate against the advancement of women. Its five affiliates, Sharjah Business Women Council, Irthi Contemporary Crafts Council, NAMA Fund, Badiri Education and Development and Souq Anwan, fall under the umbrella of NAMA Women Advancement Establishment.